Fire Safety and Preparedness
The arrival, of summer typically makes us think of afternoons at the city pool, backyard barbeques, and family vacations.
The team at SERVPRO of Sarpy County would like to remind you to add fire safety and preparedness to your to-do list this week.
Statistics show that home fires claim the life of one child every day and approximately 16 children are injured from fires or burns every hour. Over 85% of all fire-related deaths are due to home fires, which spread quickly and often leave as little as 2 minutes to escape.
Some fire safety tips:
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home and in every sleeping area.
- Teach kids to never play with matches or lighters and store these up and away from children.
- Create and practice a home fire escape plan with 2 ways out of your house. Make fire escape practice a fun game for the kids by having a race to see how fast they can escape and practice often. The better prepared your kids are, the better chance they have to escape.
- Teach your children to get low and get out when they hear the smoke alarm.
- Use common sense in the kitchen. Pay attention when cooking and never leave a hot oven or cooktop unattended.
Don't forget to check FEMA's fire safety checklist on their website.
Have a happy and safe summer!
If your property is affected by fire damage or smoke damage, call the trusted professionals at SERVPRO of Sarpy County at 402-291-3355. Our experienced crews are always here to help.