If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (402) 291-3355

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Protect Your Home From Heating Hazards

11/30/2020 (Permalink)

Inside of home with charred woodburning stove and boarded up wall This Omaha-Area home fire was caused by cresote buildup in a woodburning stove.

With the cooler temperatures, we are all looking for ways to keep our homes and workplaces cozy.  Many people use alternative heat sources like fireplaces, portable space heaters and wood burning stoves.  Heating is the second leading cause of home fire deaths, making it important to review ways to help reduce the risk of a heating-related fire.  According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), nearly half of home heating fires are reported during the months of December, January, and February. 

Here are some steps you can take to reduce the risk of home heating fires today:

  • Maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified professional.
  • Use heating equipment that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
  • All heaters need space.  Keep flammable objects at least three feet away from heating equipment.
  • Plug space heaters directly into outlets, never into an extension cord or power strip.
  • When using fuel-burning heaters, use only the type of fuel specified by the manufacturer.
  • Install and maintain carbon monoxide and smoke alarms inside your home and business.  Test alarms monthly.
  • Remember to turn portable heaters off before leaving the room or going to bed.
  • When using a wood-burning fireplace, make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to help prevent sparks from flying into the room.  Spent fireplace ashes should be cool before removing and putting them into a metal container.  The container should be stored away from your home or business.

If your property is affected by fire damage or smoke damage, call the trusted professionals at SERVPRO of Sarpy County at 402-291-3355. Our experienced crews are always here to help.

Other News

View Recent Posts