Protect Your Omaha-Area Property From Winter Weather
Follow these guidelines to keep your home or business safe from the harsh winter weather.
- Check for downed tree limbs and branches and clear them away.
- Inspect for proper drainage to avoid flood hazard potential (especially walkways and parking areas).
- Inspect all handrails, stairways, and entryways to correct potential slip hazards.
- Inspect all roofs, gutters, and water pipes to ensure they are in proper order. Gutter downspouts should be directed away from the building. Clean them of debris that may have gathered during the fall to avoid a damming affect, which may lead to roof damage and interior water problems.
- Protect water pipes from freezing by simply allowing water to drip when temperatures dip below freezing. If pipes are under a cabinet, leave cabinet doors open to allow warm inside air to circulate around the pipes. Consider shutting down outside faucets at the main valve in the basement or crawl space; make sure you turn on the faucet to drain it after shutting off the inside valve to prevent any remaining water from freezing in the pipe.
If you experience water damage in your home or business call the trusted professionals at SERVPRO of Sarpy County at 402-291-3355. Our experienced crews are always here to help.