Holiday Fire Prevention Tips
Since we typically see a spike in smoke damage and fire damage during the Christmas Holiday season, SERVPRO of Sarpy County would like to share a few tips for preventing fires this Holiday Season:
• Place Christmas trees, candles, and other holiday decorations at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators, heat vents and candles.
• Purchase flame retardant metallic or artificial trees. If you purchase a real tree, make sure that it has fresh, green needles that aren't easily broken. Keep live trees as moist as possible by giving them plenty of water.
• Make sure that light strings and other holiday decorations are in good condition. Do not use anything with frayed electrical cords and always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
• Always unplug tree and holiday light before leaving home or going to bed.
• Never use lit candles to decorate a tree. Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
• Use only sturdy tree stands designed not to tip over. Keep curious pets and children away from Christmas trees.
• Keep anything that can catch fire - pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, and towels and curtains - away from your stove top.
• Designate one person to walk around your home to make sure that all candles and smoking materials are properly extinguished after guests leave.
• Smoke alarms save lives. Install a smoke alarm near your kitchen, on each level of your home, near sleeping areas, and inside and outside bedrooms if you sleep with the doors closed. Use the test button to check it each month. Replace batteries at least once a year.
If you experience fire damage or smoke damage, call the SERVPRO of Sarpy County team of trusted professionals at 402-291-3355. Our experienced crews are always here to help.