Summer Fire Safety and Preparedness
Summer is finally here! The kids are excited that summer break is here. They are busy enjoying the city pool and riding their bikes. Your family summer vacation plans are in place.
Amid the are many things to enjoy this summer, SERVPRO of Sarpy County would like to remind you to add fire safety and preparedness to your to-do list.
Statistics show that home fires claim the life of one child every day and approximately 16 children are injured from fires or burns every hour. Over 85% of all fire-related deaths are due to home fires, which spread quickly and often leave as little as 2 minutes to escape.
Some top fire safety tips:
• Install smoke alarms on every level of your home and in every sleeping area.
• Teach kids to never play with matches and lighters and store these up and away from children.
• Create and practice a home fire escape plan with 2 ways out of your house. Make fire escape practice a fun game for the kids by having a race to see how fast they can escape and practice often. The better prepared your kids are, the better chance they have to escape.
• Teach your children to get low and get out when they hear the smoke alarm.
• Use common sense in the kitchen. Pay attention when cooking and never leave a hot oven or cooktop unattended.
Don't forget to check out the Red Cross fire safety checklist on their website.
Your friends at SERVPRO of Sarpy County wish you a safe, happy summer.