SERVPRO Helps Omaha Residents to Minimize Water Damage
Each spring, we receive several calls seeking advice about water damaged basements. Callers want to know what they can do to minimize damage until our crews arrive to professionally clean and dry their property. The answer depends on whether the water is clean or contaminated. Generally speaking, water from a supply line is considered clean, while water from drains is considered contaminated. There are exceptions to this general guideline. If you are unsure of the classification of water affecting your property, consult your water damage experts at SERVPRO of Sarpy County and we will help as best we can.
CLEAN Water Damage Tips
• Shut off the source of the water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
• Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
• Remove as much excess water as possible my mopping and blotting.
• Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
• Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
• Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
• Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
• Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors.
• Hang draperies with coated hangars to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors.
• Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
• Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
• Enter affected areas of electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
• Leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to cause staining.
• Leave Oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
• Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
• Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
CONTAMINATED Water Damage Tips
• Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
• Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
• Spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
• Turn on HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
• Use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
• Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
The most important thing to remember is that if you have any questions or require help; call the professionals. Your friends at SERVPRO of Sarpy County are here to help 24x7.