Minimizing Damage From Frozen Pipes in the Omaha, NE Metro
Due to the bitter cold in the Omaha metro today, we are getting many calls about frozen pipes and water damage. In addition to scheduling our expert technicians to help them recover, we offer advice on what to do until help arrives. The answer depends on whether the water is clean or contaminated.
Generally speaking, water from a supply line is considered clean, while water from drains is considered contaminated. There are exceptions to this general guideline.
If you are unsure of the classification of water affecting your property, consult your water damage experts at SERVPRO of Sarpy County at 402-291-3355 and we will help as best we can.
If you have contaminated water damage, consult this article on our website.
CLEAN Water Damage Tips
- Shut off the source of the water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible my mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors.
- Hang draperies with coated hangars to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors.
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
If you experience water damage from frozen pipes, call the SERVPRO of Sarpy County team of trusted professionals at 402-291-3355. Our experienced crews are always here to help.